2018 Volkswagen Polo and Polo GTI – New Generation of the Best-Seller
New 2018 Volkswagen Polo R-Line, Polo GTI and Polo Beats – Drive, Interior and Exterior.
Key facts: overview of the new Polo
– The sixth generation Polo to continue the model’s success story: with more than 14 million cars sold to date, the Polo is one of the most successful vehicles in its class.
– Largest Polo ever: new Polo is 4,053 mm long; 94 mm longer wheelbase perfects the car’s excellent ride comfort.
– New Polo is a space wonder: more room for everyone on board.
– Boot volume grew 25 per cent to 351 litres.
– This Polo plays in a higher league technologically: Front Assist, Blind Spot Detection, ACC and LED headlights like in the Golf class.
– First Polo with digital instruments: second generation of the Active Info Display celebrates its world premiere in the new Polo.
– Polo attracts with charismatic design: the new exterior is marked by expressive dynamism and a masculine front end.
– As you like it: Trendline, Comfortline, Highline, GTI, Beats and lifestyle packages create a broad selection of versions.
– Polo sets standards in personalisation: 14 body colours and 13 dashpad colours lead to almost limitless possibilities.
– Natural gas for the first time: engines have outputs from 48 kW / 65 PS to 147 kW / 200 PS.
– New Polo engine: TGI (natural gas) with 66 kW / 90 PS.
VW Polo GTI. Rounding out the model range at the top, as already noted, is the new Polo GTI. This sporty top model will now be powered by a 2.0-litre TSI with an output of 147 kW / 200 PS (previous model: 1.8 TSI with 141 kW / 192 PS). Matching the engine’s high output are the standard sport chassis and the optional Sport Select chassis. At the front, this most powerful Polo stands out by virtue of such features as a specially designed bumper with integrated spoiler lip and fog lights as standard. Typical GTI insignia at the front include the red stripe on the radiator grille, honeycomb air vent screens and, of course, the GTI badge. An exclusive feature offered in the GTI: optional LED headlights with a red winglet; stylistically they are extensions of the red stripe of the radiator grille. At the rear, the Polo GTI sports a large roof spoiler in high-gloss black (underside: black matt), a diffuser in the bumper, GTI-specific dual tailpipes (left side), LED tail lights and, again, the GTI badge. On the sides, GTI characteristics include standard 17-inch alloy wheels (18-inch optional), side sill extensions and brake calipers that are painted red. In the interior, the 200-PS Polo also offers unique characteristics that are typical of a GTI. They include top sport seats with the legendary ‘Clark’ tartan pattern, a multifunction leather-trimmed sport steering wheel with red stitching, rooflining and roof pillars in black and a GTI gear shift grip. Also included as standard: ambient lighting.
Polo Beats. A new edition of the successful Polo Beats has been designed, which targets younger customer groups. It has a 300-watt sound system by legendary US headphone producer Beats (Dr. Dre) as well as a host of other features.
The Polo is launching in three familiar trim lines Trendline, Comfortline and Highline, and in the ‘Beats’ special edition with a sound system configured for contemporary sound. Another version that appears from the start on the new car’s life: the Polo GTI. Several packages are also being offered in the form of R-Line, Black and Style. All three have a lot to offer. Consider the R-Line: it makes the Polo even more dynamic with such features as 16-inch alloy wheels (‘Sebring’), a big, sporty front bumper and at the rear a diffuser with chrome trim and a roof spoiler. The Polo with an R-Line package also has wrap-around black sill trim strips which visually press the car down to the road. The R-Line package also upgrades the interior completely – adding dynamism at a low additional price.
The new Polo will arrive on the markets of most European countries in 2017, and it will launch successively with nine Euro-6 engines.
Sustainable drives are the core of the Smart Sustainability field of innovation. They might be battery-electric systems such as in the e-up!, plug-in hybrids like in the Golf GTE or innovative new engines with conventional or alternative fuels.
1.0 TGI with 66 kW / 90 PS1/2, 5-speed gearbox
1.0 MPI with 48 kW / 65 PS1/2, 5-speed gearbox
1.0 MPI with 55 kW / 75 PS1/2, 5-speed gearbox
1.0 TSI with 70 kW / 95 PS1/2, 5-speed gearbox / 7-speed DSG
1.0 TSI with 85 kW / 115 PS1/2, 6-speed gearbox / 7-speed DSG
1.5 TSI with 110 kW / 150 PS1/2, 6-speed gearbox / 7-speed DSG
2.0 TSI with 147 kW / 200 PS1/2, 6-speed gearbox / 7-speed DSG
1.6 TDI with 59 kW / 80 PS1/2, 5-speed gearbox
1.6 TDI with 70 kW / 95 PS1/2, 5-speed gearbox / 7-speed DSG
Volkswagen has integrated a new generation of assistance systems into the Polo.
Front Assist/ City Emergency Braking / Pedestrian Monitoring.
ACC / Blind Spot Detection / Rear View.
Park Assist with manoeuvring braking function.